Saturday 21 April 2012

Rahman's Reflection - Importance of Recycling


I think everyone has an important role in reducing the carbon footprint. In the 21st century, there are many innovations that can help us to reduce the carbon footprint. For instance, many kitchen appliances now are much more energy efficient, minimizing the usage of electricity. Nowadays, vehicles have also become more fuel efficient. Some even run on electricity to minimize the byproducts of using petrol as fuel. I respect those scientists working very hard to create energy saving products.

In my daily life, I try very hard to recycle and minimize wasting of electricity. For instance, I try to recycle my notes that are not needed. I do sort out the rubbish sometimes. I am also making an effort to tell my family members to be energy efficient in their daily work too. My parents bought an electric dryer a few months back due to the continuous rain. I tried telling them to sun dry the clothes sometimes if the weather allowed but then they still preferred the electric dryer since it dries the clothes much faster.

I do realize that Singapore is putting a lot of effort in maintaining the environment through my IH lessons too. They are promoting recycling through various activities and contests. I have come across one which trades recycled materials with everyday home needs such as rice and sugar. I think that is very effective as it encourages people to compete as well as to recycle. Another which I heard of is playing games with recycled materials, such as using tin cans as balls and plastic bags as the basket. These games may seem attractive to the younger generations so such activities can help teach the younger people how to recycle.

No comments:

Post a Comment