Saturday 21 April 2012

Wilson's Reflection - Thinking of Mother Earth while 'mugging'


Exams are coming, and I am preparing notes. Funnily enough, I think of all the ‘conserving the environment’ actions that I do every day as I am preparing them.

I personally like to pen down all my school notes and study notes on paper, or type them out and print them. My mother keeps a set of papers that have only been utilize on one side, and we consider as a family that to be a waste if we just directly disposed them without utilizing them fully. All my notes are written or printed out on the reversed blank side of used papers, and that has been a habit, I thank my parents, which has cultivated in me since Primary school.

Another common energy-saving technique I employ in my daily life, thanks to my mom for screaming at me in my youth if I didn’t, is to immediately switch off all appliances after use.. This is not so much a technique as a mindset though. To other people who have a habit of forgetting such thing, I recommend pasting a post-it note over the exact switch as a reminder. It is more or less a foolproof method; I speak from experience.

NTUC has a Bring Your Own Bag campaign in that whenever a customer brings his or her own bag to carry their purchases home instead of NTUC having to provide resource-intensive plastic bags, NTUC will discounted them 10 cents off the final purchase. I can safely say that I have saved at least twenty dollars so far as a result. Hooray! (The kiasu Singaporean strikes again)Reusing bags has been a policy of my family since like forever and I strictly cohere to not accepting plastic bags whenever possible, for example the carriers the bubble tea shops (KOI!) provide or the small plastic bags used for small, portable objects. 

As I end my blog entry, I hope that all of you out there that have read this can seriously consider using them in your lives, not only does it conserve the environment; it helps cut down your monthly energy bill.  If already are, well done. Keep it up, and let us Singaporeans unite as one to combat global warming!

No comments:

Post a Comment